Firework season is upon us! It is however a period when many pets may become stressed and anxious. Do not forget that loud noises, especially during the festive season can easily frighten pets.
To help your pet through this period, here are some useful tips:
- Walk your dog earlier in the day before the fireworks start, try to tire him out
- Keep dogs and cats inside during fireworks
- Block cat flaps and close doors and windows to block out as much noise as possible
- If your pet hides, let it do so and don’t disturb it
- Don’t leave your pet home alone during fireworks, but if you do, don’t get angry with your pet upon an accident that happened out of fright
- Stay calm yourself and act normal, this reassures your pet
- Do not fuss over your pet if they are frightened, this only reinforces the unwanted behaviour.
- Play calming music or leave the TV on low volume and do ‘normal’ thing